Monday, March 04, 2013

Bag For Life

Today is the day!!!

Laura, Alex & I are off on our travels!

We are starting in New Zealand for 3 weeks, travelling from Auckland in the North Island to Christchurch in the South Island. We then fly to Australia for 5 weeks where we will travel North up the East Coast from Sydney to Cairns. After Australia, we head to Bali and the Gili Islands for a week, before the South-East Asian part of our trip! From Bali we travel to mainland Thailand, then Vietnam, Cambodia and finally the Thai islands. So excited!

Our route!

I thought it would be appropriate for me to write a blog on how to pack for travelling when you aren't a 'typical traveller' i.e. obsessed with fashion and make-up. When I started getting things out to pack a few months ago (yes months - it's been a very long process) I read a lot of other blogs on how to pack your life in to a backpack, and the few that even mentioned make-up said to take minimal items. Well I am proud to say that I am taking a full make-up bag, along with the mini hair straighteners that Ed bought me for my birthday (he knows me too well), because I am a girly girl and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

It took me a while to decide which clothes to take with me but I think I've done a pretty good job and I will review what I've packed on my return.

So, if like me, you are off on your travels at some point, then here is my list of what to pack in your backpack:

  • Clothes - underwear, bikinis, pyjamas, leggings, shorts, skirts (including a maxi for visiting temples), lots of strap tops, a jumper for flights, a denim shirt as a useful cover up, dresses, flip-flops & converse.
  • Accessories - a beach bag (which I am using as hand luggage), a small over the shoulder bag, a bum-bag, a few waist belts, a watch, a silk scarf and lots of jewellery - I think having lots of accessories will be so useful to make my outfits more exciting as obviously I have limited clothing options!
  • Washbag - mine is one of the hanging ones which I find so practical.
  • First Aid Kit - I made my own as the ones you can buy include lots of unnecessary things such as eye wash and a hundred dressings! Mine is more along the lines of paracetamol, ibuprofen, immodium, anti-allergy tablets - basically a lot of drugs (you can't expect anything less from a pharmacists daughter)!
  • Electricals - phone, camera, iPod, travel speakers (I have some splashproof Breo speakers and they are amazing!) and my Kindle, plus all the chargers.
  • Fast-absorbing travel towels
  • Passport, spare passport photos, foreign currency, travel credit card, padlocks, travel journal & copies of all my important documents (passport, itinerary, insurance, drivers license)
  • A sleeping bag liner (to use as a sleeping bag as I am headed to hot countries), travel pillow and a pillowcase.
  • A Camelbak water bottle
  • A small umbrella for Asia - last time I went it rained A LOT!
  • Make-up and mini hair straighteners (thank you Ed)!

And believe it or not, all of this fits inside my 65L bag, with a bit of space left over!

I'd like to add that my backpack (Travelproof Worldwide Travelpack 65) is a travelpack (opens like a suitcase) as opposed to a top-loader, which makes it incredibly practical, and it was a whole lot cheaper than the other alternatives that I found so I would highly recommend it!

So, as always, here is my pick of the best items currently available for travelling...















Top Row L-R:

1. Paperchase Luggage Tags Travel Scrapbook £12.50 - Ed's lovely mum, Fiona, bought me a travel journal in the same pattern!
2. My sisters bought me this gorgeous Urban Outfitters watch for my birthday (could there be a more perfect watch for travelling?!), but unfortunately it appears to have sold out, although they do still sell a very similar one!
3. Accessorize Leaf Crochet U Ring Bandeau £17 and the matching Leaf Crochet Rouched Brief £15
4. New Look Black and White Aztec Maxi Skirt £16.99 - I bought a plain black one from New Look but I wish this one had been available at the time, gorgeous and so cheap!
5. Chelsea Doll Spike Dream Catcher Necklace £12 - My sisters also bought me this necklace which will look great on the beach. If you haven't discovered Chelsea Doll yet for jewellery then it's definitely worth a look!

Bottom Row L-R:

1. Mikini Bikini Bikini Builder - this great website lets you design your own bikinis... yes please!
2. M&S Get Set... Go Travel Hair Straightener
3. Urban Outfiters bumbag - I lied, this bumbag isn't currently available, I bought it last summer but I just wanted to show it off because it is amazing!
4. bareMinerals Matte SPF15 Foundation in Tan £25 - I always use this foundation on holiday as it's light but still provides good coverage and blends well with tanned skin.

I hope this has been helpful for those of you who are off on your travels!

Goodbye England! See you in 4 months... x

No comments:

Post a Comment